Now I don’t know about you, but that doesn’t sound like a long time for a business to be in existence. But let me tell you… I have never grown so much in three years as I have, both personally and professionally, in these past 36 months.
Based off necessity, with an openness to explore options, my entrepreneurship grew into an idea – one that I couldn’t say no to. While my experience is no-doubt common, millions of smart American employees think twice about becoming their own boss. So why was the thought of business ownership never a question in my mind?
One can never truly expect the amount of work that is required to launch, run and grow a business when they’re dreaming of the ‘freedom’ and satisfaction. The late nights of development, busy relationship building, and seemingly short days of productivity are energizing to those who answer the call.
And so, I set out to change the world I live in… and in the process, changed my life’s course without looking back. Captaining your own ship is a lot of responsibility, and one not to be taken lightly, but for all of the rewards, there is nothing like it. So when you happen upon days of wondering why you have taken this path, what are your methods of staying the course, not giving up and charging on?
Here are a few of mine:
Remembering where I’ve been. I remember each co-worker and manager I’ve shared time with and most of the tasks and job descriptions I’ve held responsibility to accomplish. They all taught me lessons that I have taken with me to be the best that I can be here in my own business. The discipline to get out of bed and manage my time, answer to management and clients, meet goals and deadlines, complete projects efficiently and effectively, provide amazing customer service and come up with fresh, new ideas that keep us moving forward have built a foundation which I now stay firmly planted on.
We all have experience, in one way or another. Only you know why the thought of business ownership was appealing to you in the first place. Twelve years ago, I started by running a massage therapy business from my home in California and for years after that I considered starting a different business. The thought of running my own business was never daunting. I had entreprenuering blood and I knew no fear because I knew all of the jobs I’ve held and each of the skills I’ve built prepared me for this.
What prepared you?
Remembering why I care. We all get in to business for different reasons, but whether it is to provide a valuable service or to offer the world the greatest product they’ve ever known, something in you is passionate about the business you’ve started. So, get back to the basics. All of the planning and energy to grow and succeed shouldn’t distract the real reason you are here in the first place.
Ask yourself a few questions:
- What value do I bring to my clients and customers?
- What opportunities does business ownership offer me?
- What ability do I have to be there for family, live healthier, create abundance and financial security for myself and others?
- What would I miss out on or have to live like to be an employee?
Remembering where I’m headed. To all the entrepreneurs out there – I know you have a dream. Maybe it’s the comfort of working from home, the honor of being with your children, retiring early, to be the greatest baker in your city, or just running your own schedule. Whatever your goals, keep them in front of you. Here are a few reminders that have made an impact for me:
- Surround yourself with positive people who uplift you and keep you supported.
- Be thankful. Good things come to those who appreciate the big and the little things.
- Keep goals and dreams in plain sight. Create a dream board, or keep an item with you that symbolizes the importance of what you’re doing.
- Be excellent! Your success relies heavily on your integrity… not only within your client interactions and how you really run your business, but in your personal life as well.
- Take it one step at a time and don’t lose the forrest through the trees. Focus on what has to be done today, this week, this month, this quarter and this year… in that order!
- Give and it shall be given back to you. Remember, we’re all in this together!
Give freely, with a smile and count your blessings.
I believe in you!