You’ve got priorities and as a business owner, your online identity has a significant priority. This doesn’t mean you have countless hours to throw away. Every effort has got to count!
Your website has required hours of your focus to create a cohesive, clear and accurate reflection of your brand online. It may have surprised you how involved that became. Wow! Now, to make all that effort worth your while!
One of the most frequent questions I get helping people build effective websites is how to get more visibility (traffic). Typically the question is, “What can I do to get my website showing up in search engines?”
Want to know the easiest way to build rank and value for your website?
A blog. (AKA: develop the art of connecting with your target audience through regular publishing of articles on your website.)
Let’s add up the value of a blog for your business:
- Blogging enhances your brand. A consistent schedule of writing blog posts for your ideal client brings you a sharpened awareness of what this individual is looking for.
- Blogging builds authority. Publishing your thoughts on a specific topic gives people an opportunity to recognize your expertise. (And you send people to your posts by linking to them from LinkedIn, Face Book, twitter, or anywhere people are discussing the topic you write on.)
- Blogging is the new way to become human. A blog on which you personally publish monthly, weekly or perhaps more gives people the assurance that, “someone is home”. A new blog post and archives of past posts on your website helps your site avoid that “mechanical” or “factory settings” feeling. A blog with an active topic and people leaving comments is also a definite plus in building trust.
And finally, to answer the question about how to get better traffic through search engine referrals to your website:
A blog is a free* ticket to improved Search Engine Optimization.
- Your blog over time becomes a natural boost in search engine results. (If you install WordPress for blogging on your site you can even setup your site to “ping” search engines and invite them to come find the new content asap!)
- The topic you write about and the phrases you consistently use add weight to where your site lands in the search results for specific search phrases.
- It is normal for your blog and individual posts to become top entry pages of your site.
- Each post acts as an invitation for people to link to your website from their own; search engines use these links to measure the “weight” your website earns on your given niche.
Want a visual on the potential of your business blog? Check out the results in a recent study of 1531 small business websites:
- For every 4 visits to a website without a blog, those with a blog received 6.2 visits (+55% for sites with blog)
- For each inbound link to a site without a blog, those with a blog had approximately 2 inbound links (+97% for sites with blog)
- Number of pages indexed by search engines for websites without a blog were outnumbered more than 4 to 1 by those with a blog (+434% more indexed pages for sites with blog)
Those study results visually:
* Free? Print advertising and other media channels (i.e. adsense, paid links, etc.) require immediate out of pocket expense. The cost of each blog post? Starting at $0.00. You of course may find it freeing to have a professional copywriter review and touch up your content before seeing the light of day on the web.
* Give me more data – Check out Hubspot 2012 Inbound Marketing Slides
So you what will it take before you can take advantage of a blog for your business?
Are you already blogging? What is it that motivates you to keep going and how did you get started?
Please take a moment to comment here on this blog post and I’ll be happy build a conversation right here! I’ll also be hosting a conversation on this very topic on Facebook.
Living and working in Dushanbe, Tajikistan, Tim Griffin is an above-and-beyond kind of guy who is always looking for ways to improve, build on and discover new ways of getting things done. Since 2006, his company Mission: Communicate has been empowering people by helping them implement the tools and resources available to make their website a success. Find out more at missioncommunicate.com.