You’ve seen them all over social media and wondered – what does it mean? Here, we explain what a Hashtag is, why you use them, and how to use them most effectively.
Don’t have time to watch the whole video? Here’s a brief synopsis:
- Definition: The pound sign (#) used in front of a word creates a #hashtag
- Hashtags are used mainly on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Google+ (don’t use them on Facebook!)
- Hashtags are a way to categorize your posts
- Good hashtags implement strong keywords relevant to what you’re talking about
- They also implement trending hashtags, which in Twitter can be found on the left side of your home page: